Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Face of the Devil

There is something about this picture. I'm not really sure what it is. Maybe it's that the whole picture is so dark. Maybe it's the site of the impassable avalanche falls on the mountain. Maybe it's that the storm seems to be gathering all its power in a single hydrant. Maybe it's that the storm clouds are nearly at eye level. Maybe it's the contrast between the black clouds and the white torrent coming from it. Maybe it's the feeling of claustrophobia being caught between a very large rock and an increasingly violent atmosphere. Maybe it's that there is absolutely nowhere on this peak to hide from it. It could be that none of what's there is rain, it's torrential hail. It could be that I now know just what it looks like for lighting to strike from your level instead of to your level. Possibly it's that I know there is another one just like it coming from the east of the picture. Maybe it's not what the picture looks like but what it sounds like. Maybe it's the frightening knowledge that as the storm descends cloud to cloud lightning becomes the same thing as cloud to ground lightning. It could be a lot of things. Maybe it's that I know exactly how terrifying it looks when it's in your face and not 400 pixels wide. There is something chilling about this picture.


Maybe it's just me.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm so glad that it all worked out like it did...we like you too much to loose you to the dark, my friend. Better to be lost in the light, the sun, say?

red said...

Well, beyond the fact that I am ever increasingly astonished that you are still around to hold late night conversations with, I also think you're quite an ambitious photographer. Really, with your explanation of it yesterday, I'm rather in awe. If you hadn't been in mortal peril for 19 hours straight, this would have been a really cool experience.