You know those days that start out with a little turbulence and then you realize that what you thought was turbulence was really a space sized giraffe lizard that has grabbed the plane and has every reason and intention to eat it, even when planes and their passengers are not life sustaining. What are your last thoughts? ...I was guessing this would happen today...On walking up to the place of my servitude this yester morning I was carrying a delicate piece of equipment that I have been working on, off and on, for the last few months as a project for the department of astronomy. It happens to be somewhat sensitive to changes in humidity as certain devices tend to be. So the night before I happened to be up until the time when the wee hours have grown back into their bigger brethren working on a rig to protect this thing in transport. And wouldn't you know it, things made in the dusk of your consciousness always tend to be less stable than ever intention can provide for. Thus as it went I took off early in order that I might have time to overcome any unforeseen obstacles between me and the work house of slaves. On walking I noticed that in one part of the dimly lit sidewalk was a lake where once a path had been. I decided to back track a ways and go around it to avoid risk of doom. Smart. I thought so. But as it turns out there happens to be, in the place where I live, a sort of warm conflict between pedestrians and drivers. The peds try their hardest to assert their claim on every space of land possible (especially if paved) with every desire that their transportation needs and schedules be met and be met in full immediance . Drivers, in great detest of such wanton disregard to the large and in charge, have the tendency to rack up a great many kill points by driving in auto mode thus maximizing their overall efficiency (ie. being allowed to do things like enter great conversation, apply make-up, blow dry hair and even write the occasional term paper) while 'getting rid' of a few idiots here and there. I degress.
In full knowledge of these power plays I meaned on walking the street only as far as the walk was flooded. However a car spotted me and not understanding my situation veered close enough so as to knock the apparatus I was holding out of balance. In a quick and rather deft maneuver I threw my body under the falling device to nullify the effects of its fall. However, no sooner had I initiated the command than another larger automotive came and deciding to finish the job. Full bore he side swiped me. In slow motion I saw one hundred and thirty seven man hours fall from unsustainable heights to the depths of the lake of disaster from a likewise falling and, yes, badly rotating frame of reference.
I lay there for a second staring out of one good eye right at my creation. There. On the ground. The rig badly beaten and marred. Slowly I crept up to to the scene to ascertain if all was lost. As I did so the heavens began to precipitate the sleet of hades. Carefully using my body as a shield from the now pervading elements as I peered inside the soaking protective layer. The system was flooded but otherwise undamaged. I picked up the element and desperately ran it to the nearest cover of a tree to try to drain what water had gotten past the defenses. As I scrambled to save the hopeless I quickly glanced up to see a man on the corner staring at me. He just stood there. Soaked. In the elements. Unmoved. I paused a second at his apathetic appearance. I momentarily put down the instrument and stood to receive his words. Slowly he opened his mouth. "Things can always get worse."
And then I heard a crash through the tree. I turned to look as the oak fell from the sky crushing all signs of hope I had in my cold little heart.
Ahhh you say. The proverbial kick to the broken visage. But really what do you do when pinned under a tree in full view of its destruction on your life. Honestly? I thought to myself at that time two things. ...Take me now... ...I wonder if they serve fruit cocktails at the hospital on Thursdays? I'm perfectly fond of a fruit cocktail...
1 comment:
Ohhhhh.....Really?
Post a Comment