Saturday, October 30, 2010

Three Years Later

Sometimes these things don't just die off nicely. Like an undamped transient in your transfer function. Positive feedback isn't really what you want in this case. But sometimes your poles are in fact in the right half plane and you know no amount of gain is going to bring your root locus back. But it's raining you say. Yeah. It is. And there're clouds out. Yeah. There are. And apples are still on the trees. Also true. There's thunder too. Don't forget that. I haven't. Fine. Maybe the locus only hits the RHP with too much gain... or not enough...  so in essence what we're dealing with is too much overshoot and possibly a critically damped system. Either way, I'm sure there's a steady state error in there. I'd think about using an integrator but this system saturates far too easily and, as you never really know where you are, wind-up could end up throwing you into a wall. So yes, I have no idea what my phase margin is but by golly Moses at least I know we have crossover.


On the maybe, next year I'll do a spectrum analysis. I could sure use one. Maybe two.

No comments: